Director of Development
Role: Director of Development
Reports to: Executive Director
The Director of Development for Fossil Rim is responsible for articulating, planning and overseeing the implementation of a strategic direction for the fundraising program. The individual plays a critical role in developing prospect cultivation and solicitation strategies and is expected to cultivate and solicit major gifts from key prospects. The Director will provide oversight of the Development Assistant and other fundraising staff to support Fossil Rim’s operating needs. They also serve as a key liaison to the Board of Directors and its Committees in their related efforts.
Fossil Rim is open to a remote working environment for the Director of Development.
• Direct and manage all aspects of Fossil Rim’s fundraising enterprise, including establishing a robust individual giving program soliciting annual, leadership, major and planned gifts; expanding the membership program; and identifying institutional and corporate funding opportunities.
• Collaborate with the Board and staff its Development Committee to create a strong fundraising program which increases revenue to support the strategic direction of the organization.
• Coordinate and support Executive Director’s fundraising efforts, including prospect outreach efforts, meeting preparation and follow-up, strategy development, pipeline management and gift proposals. Accompany Executive Director on prospect visits on an as-needed basis.
• Oversee Fossil Rim’s prospect pipelines and manage prospect tracking/reporting using an appropriate database.
• Build and manage a personal pool of 50-75 prospects and donors.
• Plan and implement cultivation and stewardship events.
• Prepare gift proposals, appeal letters and other fundraising collateral.
• Research and implement foundation/government grant‐seeking strategies and build new relationships with private foundations and governmental agencies.
• Present development training sessions to staff who could interface with potential donors.
• Participate in long-range strategic planning initiatives for Fossil Rim.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
Experience: Minimum of 5-7 years of development experience, including a strong track record of major gifts fundraising, excellent writing skills, and ability to forge relationships with donors and peers.
Additional skills: • Broad knowledge of all facets of a sophisticated development program. • Excellent organizational, writing, interpersonal and “diplomacy” skills. • Empathetic communicator and careful listener. • Ability to establish meaningful long-term relationships with prospects, donors and volunteers on behalf of Fossil Rim. • Experience in preparing/staffing top leadership at prospect and board meetings. • Demonstrated success in working with boards and other volunteers. • Familiarity with regional business, civic and philanthropic community. • Mission-driven and creative leader with strong management skills. • Ability to set objectives, develop plans and implement programs to achieve goals. • Highly‐organized, attentive to detail, goal‐oriented and capable of multi‐tasking. • Ability to work collaboratively with all staff members to achieve the organization’s annual goals. • Solid understanding of fundraising databases, including segmentation, tracking and donor research capabilities. • Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including but not limited to Excel, Access, Outlook and Word, plus the ability to learn other software programs as needed. • Availability for evening and weekend hours and occasional travel.
How to Apply
On behalf of Fossil Rim Wildlife Center and Schultz & Williams, we will be accepting applicants for the role of Director of Development at FRWC. Applicants are asked to submit a cover letter and resume in PDF form to: email@example.com
Applicants who fail to provide both will be removed from consideration.